Pay a Citation
Most violations can be resolved by paying the fine found on the citation. Violators choosing to pay their fine may pay online, mail - PO Box 239 Gunnison, CO 81230, or in person at the Court Clerk's desk at the Municipal Building at 201 W. Virginia Ave.
By making payment, the violator is admitting their guilt to the charge. If the violation is a traffic offense, a record of the paid conviction is sent to the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The DMV will assess the appropriate penalty points to each violators driving history, as established by state law.
The Gunnison Municipal Court offers an automatic point reduction for traffic citations written with a penalty assessment. The citation must be paid or postmarked no later than 20 days from the date the citation was issued to qualify for the automatic point reduction. If the citation is paid within 20 days, as stipulated, an automatic point reduction will result as listed below:
- For a violation having an assessment of three or more points, the points will be reduced by two points.
- For a violation having an assessment of two points, the points will be reduced by one point.
- No point reduction will be given for one point violations.
Making your payment by mail:
- Make checks out to "City of Gunnison" and mail them to PO Box 239, Gunnison, CO 81230.
- Make sure you are mailing your payment to the correct place. There are many courts in Colorado and they all have different procedures. Your citation contains the name of the proper court in which your violation is being processed. Gunnison municipal citation numbers begin with a letter followed by several numbers. Gunnison municipal citations are written by City of Gunnison Police Officers within the Gunnison city limits. Read the citation carefully to ensure you have the correct court.
- Always include a copy of the citation with your payment if at all possible. If you have lost your citation, please include your full name, date of birth and the court date that was listed on the citation. This will speed the processing of your citation.
- Never mail cash. If you wish to pay in cash, please pay in person at the Court Clerk's desk in the Municipal Building. The court accepts checks, money orders, and cash (in person).
- Always pay on time. If you don't have the money either call and speak with the Court Clerk or come to court on your scheduled court date and speak with the Judge. Non-payment without contacting the court will result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. This will cost you more money in the long run!
- Never write a short check to the court. The court has the power to arrest anyone writing a short check for fine.
Pay online at: