Colorado House Bill 21-1162, known as the Plastic Pollution Reduction Act, will take effect January 1, 2023. The act prohibits stores and retail food establishments, on and after January 1, 2024, from providing single-use plastic carryout bags to customers.
What stores are affected?
All stores and retail food establishments; except retail food establishments that are restaurants and small stores that operate solely in Colorado and have 3 or fewer locations.
What is the fee?
Between January 1, 2023, and January 1, 2024, a store may furnish a recycled paper carryout bag or a single-use plastic carryout bag to a customer at the point of sale if the customer pays a fee fee of 10 cents per bag.
On and after January 1, 2024, a store may furnish only a recycled paper carryout bag to a customer at the point of sale at a fee of 10 cents per bag. Single use plastic bags are banned.
What is the fee used for?
The City of Gunnison may use its portion of the carryout bag fee revenues to pay for its administrative and enforcement costs and any recycling, composting, or other waste diversion programs or related outreach or education activities.
How to remit the fee:
A store is required to remit, on a quarterly basis beginning April 1, 2024, 60% of the carryout bag fee revenues to the City of Gunnison and may retain the remaining 40% of the carryout bag fee revenues. Stores may begin remitting the requires bag fees voluntarily beginning January 1, 2023. The fees are due by the 20th of the month following each calendar quarter. fees may be remitted in person at City Hall or via the below methods.
Credit cards and e-checks are accepted by clicking HERE.
Mailed Check Remittance
Stores may also remit the bag fees using the return either in Excel or PDF, accompanied with a check, mailed to the following address:
City of Gunnison
PO Box 239
Gunnison, CO 81230