Non Resident Vendor License

elkIn 1998 the City Council passed Ordinance 11, Series 1998, an ordinance creating a Transient Merchant License (Non Resident Vendor) for vendors wishing to sell in our community. A transient merchant is any business that does not have an established, year-round, business in the Gunnison Valley.

To legally sell within the City of Gunnison, a transient merchant must do the following:

  • Obtain and fill out a Transient Merchant License Application (Section 8.30.020)
  • Submit a non-refundable $50.00 application fee, payable to the City of Gunnison
  • Obtain a local business sponsor and have the business sponsor complete the Transient Merchant Sponsor Agreement (Section 8.30.060)
  • Receive permission from the City's Community Development Department to sell in a properly zoned section of the City
  • Obtain or have a current City of Gunnison Sales Tax License (Section 8.30.030(A))
  • Post a $1,000 cash or $1,000 surety bond with the City. A surety bond shall be issued by a company licensed to conduct business in the State of Colorado and shall remain in effect for 9 months after the expiration date of the transient merchant license (Section 8.30.030(B)). A cash bond will be refunded after 9 months.

If all of these conditions are met, the Transient Merchant License will be issued by the City Clerk's office and shall be in effect for 90 days. Each sale is an individual sales event, and a separate application shall be made for each sale. Hence, if you hold a sale in April and another in August, two applications need to be made. The License shall be displayed in a conspicuous place at the place of sale and produce it upon request of any customer, police officer, or other agent or employee of the City. Please note: if your sale is being sponsored by a local non-profit organization, civic organization or church, a Transient Merchant License application needs to be completed and submitted to the City Clerk's Office. However, your sale is then exempt from bonding provisions of the licensing procedures. You are still required to obtain a current City sales tax license.

If you have any questions please contact the City Clerk's office at 970.641.8080.