Van Tuyl Water Treatment Plan and Infrastructure Improvements Project
Ohio Avenue Multimodal Project Summer 2023
The Ohio Avenue Multimodal project is the result of several years of collaboration between the City of Gunnison, Western Colorado University, Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), the Federal Highway Administration, the Gunnison Valley Transportation Planning Region (TPR), and community stakeholders. Ohio Avenue was identified as a primary pedestrian and bike route connecting Western Colorado University’s campus to the downtown Gunnison area. Work will begin in July 2023 and is expected to be completed by November 2023.
This project is intended to improve public safety by constructing improvements along Ohio Avenue between North Colorado Street to North Wisconsin, including:
- An 8-foot, 2 lane cycle track.
- 5-foot ADA compliant sidewalks with ADA ramps at each intersection.
- A 4-foot physical barrier to separate motorized and non-motorized traffic, which includes landscaping and irrigation.
- Ambient & directional lighting, trash receptacles, benches, doggie stations, and additional landscaping on each block.
- Bulbouts and improved cross walks at Hwy 135 and Ohio.
To receive email updates on the project, please email
You can also call 970-998-2029 or click HERE for the most up-to-date information.
Gunnison and Surrounding Area CDOT Projects
- Highway 50 Little Blue Creek Canyon project began in April 2021.
- For updates on the Highway 50 Little Blue Creek Canyon project and to sign up to receive project updates via email or text message, click here.
- Click here for more information from the US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration about the project.
- Homepage — Colorado Department of Transportation (codot.gov)
VanTuyl Water Treatment Plant and Infrastructure Improvements Project