Building and Sign Permits

It is the policy of the City of Gunnison Building Department that building permits may only be issued on parcels deemed by the Fire Marshal, Building Official and Community Development Director to have adequate emergency vehicular access, and are served by a central water system capable of providing adequate fire flow, as prescribed by the International Fire Code. This administrative policy does not imply a guarantee for issuance of Certificates of Occupancy (CO). Building occupancy will not be granted until all City utilities (water, sewer and electrical) are in place and functional.

Do I need a Building Permit?
Building Information Packet
Fillable Building Permit
Use Tax Refund Policy and Procedures

Permits will be applied for online through MyGov or with the fillable Building Permit Application PDF emailed with electronic plans to Eric Jansen at  All users applying with MyGov will need to create a collaborator account the first time you use the site.  Any user is considered a collaborator.  Please keep track of your login information to log into your account in the future.  The City does not have access to your account. If you need assistance with the online application process, contact Caree at 641-8150.

From your collaborator portal/page, you can:
1. Request a permit/project
2. Request an inspection on an active project
3. View the results of an inspection and any notes the inspector may have included.

The Building Official processes the following types of permits online through MyGov:

A sign permit is required for all signs erected withiin the City. Any sign placed within the public right-of-way is subject to a License Agreement.  The Sign Standards may be found in Section 4.8 of the Land Development Code.

Have questions? Ask us online through Request Manager
How are Building Permit fees calculated?
How are water and sewer tap fees calculated?
Use Tax Reimbursement

For demolition projects, a State Demolition Permit is required.