Flood Preparedness

City of Gunnison Flood Protection Information
Flooding can occur within the City of Gunnison any time of the year, especially when there is excessive snow melt during the spring or when obstruction occurs in the watercourses, such as debris or an ice dam. Both the Gunnison River and Tomichi Creek can produce flooding situations when the conditions are right. Much of the western edge of the city is in a floodplain. With the increase of homes in this area comes a greater potential for damage due to flooding. It is important to be prepared in the event of a flood.

City of Gunnison Flood Protection Handout

FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) Showing the Flood Plain in and around the city:
FIRM Map Index Sheet 1
FIRM Map Index Sheet 2
FIRM Map 08051C1262D West side of town (Gunnison River through town)
FIRM Map 08051C1264D South of town (Dos Rios and Gold Basin areas)
FIRM Map 08051C1266D Southeast of town (Tomichi Creek and Airport area)
FIRM Map 08051C1267D East side of town ( Tomichi Creek and Gunnison Rising area)
FIRM Map 08051C1268D Southeast of town (Tomichi Creek - W-Mountain to Panoview area)
Floodplain Development Permit Application

City Flood Management Services
Information is available through the City of Gunnison Building Office, located at 201 W. Virginia Avenue in the City Municipal Building. Copies of elevation certificates are available to the public for properties located in the Special Flood Hazards Area. There is a complete set of flood information documents available to the public at the Gunnison County Library. The following individuals are available to answer questions and provide additional information:

Eric Jansen 
Building Official and Certified Floodplain Manager for the City of Gunnison
(970)641-8151 (office)
(970)209-0988 (cell)
Scott Morrill
Gunnison County Emergency Management Department
970)641-2481 (office)

Ways to be Flood Smart

Flood safety preparedness in the City of Gunnison depends greatly on the cooperation and involvement of its citizens. Here are some ways you can help:

  • Do not dump or throw anything into watercourses, ditches, or streams. Any debris that accumulates in these waterways can cause them to back up and flood.

  • If your property is next to a ditch or stream, please do your part to keep the banks and channels clear of brush, branches, and debris. The City also has a ditch and stream maintenance program that can help remove major blockages such as downed trees.

  • If you witness someone dumping debris into the waterways please contact the Public Works Department at (970)641-8830.

  • Always check with the Community Development before you build, alter, plow, dig, or fill any earth or structures on your property to ensure that your project will not cause any potential flood issues.

  • Besides contacting the people mentioned above, there is a wealth of information on the internet. The links at the top of this page will direct you to that information.

Flood Insurance
The city of Gunnison is a member of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and the Community Rating System (CRS). If your residence is located in what is considered a special flood hazard area and you have a mortgage, you are required by FEMA to obtain flood insurance. Homeowner's insurance is not flood insurance. You will not be protected in the event of a flood if you do not have flood insurance. Even if your property is not in what is referred to as a special flood hazard area (the 100-Year Floodplain), statistics show that 30 percent of all flood damaged properties are located outside of the 100-Year Floodplain. So, if you're even slightly concerned, it is a good idea to inquire about obtaining flood insurance. Contact your insurance agent for a quote. The state coordinator of the National Flood Insurance Program may also be able to assist you. Do not wait until the last minute to purchase flood insurance. There is a thirty day waiting period before flood insurance becomes effective.