A SUMMONS REQUIRES THAT YOU MUST APPEAR IN COURT
- MUST is the key phrase here. If you received a summons, a citation not giving you the option to pay in advance, you are obligated to appear in municipal court on the date listed on the citation.
- If you can't appear in court on the specified date, contact the Court Clerk. You can be granted one continuance to the next regularly scheduled court date. Failure to show up on your scheduled court date on a summons, without contacting the Court Clerk, will result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.
- If you fail to appear at your rescheduled court date, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. There are additional fees you must pay if a warrant is issued.
I WANT TO PLEAD NOT GUILTY AND HAVE MY DAY IN COURT
- If you want to plead not guilty to your charge or charges, please appear in court on the date listed on your citation. If you can't appear in court on the specified date, contact the Court Clerk. You can be granted one continuance to the next regularly scheduled court date. If you fail to appear at your rescheduled court date, a warrant may be issued for your arrest. There are additional fees you must pay if a warrant is issued for you.
- When you arrive at court please check in with the Court Clerk. You will be given a copy of your Advisement. Please read this carefully, sign the form, fill in the requested information, and return the form to the Court Clerk. You will be called before the Judge in the order in which you checked in with the Court Clerk. If you have any questions about your rights or do not understand the charge against you, be sure and tell the Judge when you are called up to the bench. If you plead guilty, you will be given an opportunity to tell the Judge "your side of the story". The Judge will then sentence you accordingly. Fines, fees, community service obligations, substance abuse evaluations and driving courses must be paid or performed within the time allotted. Failure to do so may result in contempt of court charges.
- If you plead not guilty to the charge(s) you will be set for a trial to the court at a later date. In certain circumstances you may have the right to a trial by jury. Such request must be made in writing within twenty one days from the date of your plea. You must also tender a $25.00 jury fee upon your request. If you fail to meet these conditions your trial shall be by the court.