Alcohol Violations

Alcohol Violations & License Revocation

  • If your ticket is a penalty assessment, that is, it has a fine amount on it; you can pay the ticket prior to the court date. We accept cash, checks, money orders, and credit/debit cards.

  • If your ticket is a summons, that is, it has "Summons" written on it and no fine amount, you must appear in court. 

  • If you feel you are innocent and want to contest the ticket, you can appear in court on your court date, which is written on your ticket.

Your options are outlined below. If you have questions, please call the Municipal Court at 970-641-8170. We can't give you legal advice but we'll be glad to answer your questions about court procedures and potential fines.

If your ticket is a penalty assessment....

If you chose to plead guilty and pay the ticket without going to court, you may pay your ticket online, or you can mail the fine amount found on your ticket using check or money order payable to the "City of Gunnison" to Gunnison Municipal Court; Po Box 239; Gunnison, CO 81230, or you can pay in person at the Municipal Building; 201 W. Virginia Avenue in Gunnison. The Court Clerk's office is on the first floor off the Virginia Avenue entrance. 

Your conviction record is then mailed by the court to the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for processing by the State according to the State's regulations. If your driver's license is revoked the DMV will send you a notice of driver's license revocation to the address on your driver's license and you will then deal with the State - NOT the Gunnison Municipal Court - to get your license reinstated.

Driver's License Revocation
In 2009, the Colorado State Legislature passed House Bill 09-1266, requiring persons convicted of specific charges including: underage purchase of alcohol and underage consumption/possession of alcohol; to have their driver's licenses revoke. If you have questions regarding this portion of the revocation you can call the DMV at 303.205.5613.

In addition, depending upon your insurance company, there may be additional insurance fees imposed by your individual company, or they may elect to drop your policy.