Please Note! Christmas and New Years Holiday Refuse Schedule.
There will be no refuse and recycle pickups on Friday, December 23rd or Monday, December 26th. If your refuse would normally be picked up on Friday, it will be picked up on Thursday, December 22nd. If your refuse would normally be picked up on Monday, it will be picked up on Tuesday, December 27th.
There will be no refuse and recycle pickups on Monday, January 2, 2017 in observation of New Years holiday. Refuse and recycle normally picked up on this day will be picked up Tuesday, January 3, 2017.
The City of Gunnison provides regular refuse and recycling collection services on a once a week schedule. All city residents pay for this service in their monthly utility bill.
- Please place your refuse in the alley behind your house. If you do not have an alley call Public Works to find out your pick up spot.
- Have your refuse out by 8:00 a.m. on your pickup day. Click here if you need to know your pickup day.
- Do not place your can directly under overhead electric, phone or cable lines.
- Place all of your refuse in the refuse can that the City has provided. The automated refuse truck is unable to empty any other type of can.Please do not place refuse in boxes or bags on the ground.
- Please call Public Works at 970-641-8020The City has an organic dump available for yard waste, click here for details.
- To arrange a special refuse pickup if you have additional refuse that will not fit in your can.
- For a special pickup of large items such as appliances, etc.
- If you need a can or would like a smaller or larger can.
- DO NOT place liquids, motor oil, tires, paint, car batteries, pesticides, or weed killer in the regular refuse. Call the County Landfill at 641-5522 to get help with disposal of these types of materials. DO NOT place building materials, rocks or other large items in your refuse.
The City of Gunnison provides curbside recycling pickups for City residents. Participating in the recycle program will prolong the County Landfill's life and will help forestall rate increases. Please note the following guidelines:
- Recyclables will be collected on the same day as your refuse pickup.
- Keep recyclables free of moisture by not setting out recyclables the night before when snow or rain is likely.
- Each residence is provided with up to 4 bins. If your bins are missing, please call Public Works at 970-641-8020. Remember the bins belong to the city, please leave them at the residence when you move.
- Place your recyclables in the same place you put your regular trash, but do not block access to your cans or dumpster.
- Please sort your recyclables according to the instructions below.
- brown glass
- clear and colored glass
- #1 & #2 plastics
- corrugated and smooth cardboard brown
- paper grocery bags
- aluminum cans
- tin cans
- newspapers and magazines
- office pack – consists of paper, junk mail, etc. No neon, manila or black copies please.
- ALUMINUM CANS - Aluminum beverage cans – remove liquid, you may crush. Please do not add cans that contain trash such as cigarette butts, dirt, paper, etc.
- TIN CANS – remove lids or rings, paper labels may remain on, rinse thoroughly, you may flatten.
- NEWSPAPER Newspapers may be placed in brown grocery bags and placed in the bin
- CORRUGATED AND SMOOTH CARDBOARD - Breakdown and flatten boxes. If you have more than ten pieces of large corrugated cardboard, bind in two directions with twine into bundles no more than 30" x 12". Brown Paper Grocery Sacks may be included. Place cardboard next to bins. We cannot accept cardboard that is has plastic or wax coatings such as milk cartons.
- GLASS BOTTLES AND JARS - Remove all liquids, lids, caps, rings, corks, foil, and rinse food from jars. Paper labels may stay on. We cannot take plate and window glass, drinking glasses, ceramics, porcelain, Pyrex, mirrors or light bulbs. Separate clear glass from colored glass. No blue glass.