Neighborhood Services is staffed by three full time civilian employees. Neighborhood Services Officers provide enforcement of animal violations and code violations in the City of Gunnison. Some of their common calls for service include parking problems, neighbor complaints, animals running At Large, and illegal dumping.
Neighborhood Services also provides inventory control of property seized by the department and handles auctions for abandoned property. CLICK HERE for Lost and Found. During winter months, NSO assists city plow crews with the towing of vehicles for snow removal. Neighborhood Services Officers are trained in the use of defensive weapons including the Taser and pepper spray.
If you have any questions please contact Neighborhood Services at 970.641.8242 or email NSO Doug Spann or NSO Kelsey Knibbe.
City Ordinances & Requirements
Animal Care and Control
All dogs and cats living within the city limits are required to have a city license which can be purchased at the City Finance Office.
- Proof of rabies vaccination is required at time of purchase.
- Licenses will run Jan 1 through December 31 each year and can be purchase anytime throughout the year.
- Failure to license your dog or cat can result in a citation with a $15.00 fine.
Animal At Large/Leash Required
All animals must be on a leash held by a person capable of controlling the animal in public places (off of the owner's property) including common areas of private property, parking lots, parks, city trails, etc. within the city limits. Animals At Large:
- Will be charged a $10.00 pick-up fee.
- Will be charged a $20 per day shelter fee, if impounded.
- Will receive citations with fines of $15.00, $30.00, and $50.00 if spayed/neutered or $30.00, $50.00, or $100.00 if intact. A fourth contact in a 12 month period will result in a summons to The City of Gunnison Municipal Court.
- Animals At Large or on leash where prohibited by a sign (i.e. city parks, Jorgensen Softball fields) are subject to a citation with a $25.00 fine, except service dogs on leash may be in areas where animals are prohibited by sign.
When the City picks up a stray animal, it is kept in the shelter for 5 days in case the owner calls to claim it. After that, the animal will be transferred to the GUNNISON VALLEY ANIMAL WELFARE LEAGUE (970.641.1173) for adoption.
Dangerous Dog/Vicious Animal
Dangerous and/or vicious animals are not permitted within the city limits. A dangerous or vicious animal is one that:
- Bites or attacks or causes the death of a person or other domestic animal without provocation
- Approaches a person or another animal in a terrorizing manner or otherwise behaves in a way that would lead a reasonable person to believe the dog may inflict injury or death, whether or not the animal does attack or is capable of attack
- Behaves in a manner that causes or should cause its owner to know that it is potentially dangerous/vicious
- Engages in or is trained for animal fighting
- Dangerous/vicious animal violations are subject to a summons to The City of Gunnison Municipal Court.
Inflicting injury, death, or pain and suffering to an animal, or failing to provide property food, water, shelter, or care is prohibited within the city limits. Animal cruelty can consist of:
- Inflicting injury, death, or pain and suffering, intentionally or by neglect
- Failing to provide sufficient food/water
- Failing to provide shelter that maintains a healthy body temperature and protects the animal from the elements
- Leaving an animal in a vehicle for more than 30 minutes or where the temperature in the vehicle is greater than 90 degrees F
- Animal Cruelty violations are subject to a summons to The City of Gunnison Municipal Court.
Animal Nuisance Abatement: Noise
Allowing an animal to cause annoyance, alarm, or noise disturbance for more than 10 minutes at any time of day or night, which can be heard beyond the boundary of the owner's property is not permitted within the city limits.
- Animal noise violations are subject to citations with fines of $15.00, $30.00, and $50.00 if spayed/neutered or $30.00, $50.00, or $100.00 if intact. A fourth contact in a 12 month period will result in a summons to The City of Gunnison Municipal Court.
Please CLICK HERE to see the complete list of City of Gunnison Municipal Ordinances governing animal care and control.
Depositing, storing, or allowing the storage of inoperative vehicles is prohibited within the city limits, except for vehicles stored in a building or other area zoned for such use (according to the CITY OF GUNNISON LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE). An inoperative vehicle is one that:
- Any device which is capable of moving itself, or of being moved upon wheels, skids, or endless tracks (no including human powered vehicles),
- Which has mechanical failure or is missing any component which makes in incapable of being operated as originally intended for more than 30 days.
- And/or is required to be registered and registration is expired for more than 60 days.
- Inoperative vehicle violations are subject to a summons to The City of Gunnison Municipal Court.
- Depositing snow removed from private property in any city street, alley, or roadway, without a license agreement with the City, is not permitted.
- The property owner or occupant is required to maintain the adjacent sidewalks, parking areas, and curbs in a clean condition and to remove snow/ice immediately (within 24 hours) after every snowfall.
- Snow/ice removal violations are subject to a summons to The City of Gunnison Municipal Court.
- CLICK HERE for Public Works information on snow/ice removal, including the license agreement application.
Parking and Bicycle Violations
Please CLICK HERE to see the State of Colorado Model Traffic Code regulating parking and bicycle activity.
Please CLICK HERE see the City of Gunnison Municipal Ordinances regarding parking and bicycle activity.
Disposing of items in a private trash can/dumpster without the owner's permission is not permitted within the city limits.
- Illegal dumping violations are subject to a summons to The City of Gunnison Municipal Court.
Paying City of Gunnison Municipal Court Fines/Fees
Please CLICK HERE for information about paying City of Gunnison Municipal Court citations and parking tickets, online, by mail, and in person.